Monday, October 3, 2011

First Day of Work

Today was (finally? already?) my first day of work. I'm still nowhere near set up here, but I think I have myself established enough to be ready for it. Of course, I start moving on Wednesday...

Most of today was your typical new hire orientation experience, albeit the bilingualish version. One of the really interesting things to listen to here is that, even when people generally speak English very well, they tend to retain their native hesitation sounds and interjections, and lapse back into Japanese for really short phrases. I also suspect that a lot of engrish has to do with people trying to transliterate in their heads. I'm commonly asked "heee. Why you can speak Japanese?" instead of something more natural like, "Woah; how come you speak Japanese?"

Later in the week, I get a double-batch of intensive mostly Japanese-language training material about history, policies, procedures, etc. Fairly typical first week training for a large company.

Oh, and no, we don't have a masseuse. There are 2 of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment